Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A Message in the Sky....


I keep spotting Red Birds.

To me, it means something, but maybe I am reading into things. I can tend to do that, and slowly after a train of thoughts, I shape and mold a message in the sky. There is a piece of me that sincerely believes words and letters are written to me on pages in the clouds, seas and flowers. In the end, I always question if it is real or just my imagination playing Hide and Seek or Ghosts in the Graveyard, leaving me with trails of hope but no tangible find. Seems to me, His creation has always been a means of communication. He spoke the trees, spiders, dandelions, and rivers into their existence. He used prophets to relay the message of promises to come and prevailing justice. He came as the Word made flesh, and taught the crowds on hills and outside synagogues. God speaks in many ways and over centuries of time. Communication is sometimes loud and sometimes soft. But it is.

So with me, He is personal with Red Birds. The truth is, I can't tell if I spot them more regularly, or if they are directed across my path more often lately. Perched on the pavement, just catching my eye between two cars in his electric, bold color, and just for a second, a Red Bird stood still. I looked away to lock my front door, and turning around to catch another little glance at him, but he was gone...Two fluttered by on the back porch as I sat at my kitchen table reading and daydreaming...One landed on the bush in front of me as I sat talking to a friend in her car...and as I turned the corner last week, I noticed for the first time a street sign I have passed a hundred times...it's name, "Red Bird Street." These are just a few to name right now, but it is daily and whether it is living, and darting through the sky, or imprinted on a t-shirt, license plate, or semi-truck...they are appearing all over and every day.

But it's so good. I need to know He cares, listens, responds, and even moves His small creatures to speak a soft song of hope to me. My heart is tender and needy to hear His mercies as my scales are being ripped away...as I change and fall and grow, and long for more but still settle for less.

So tomorrow...The alarm will go off early and I'll get up sharp and alert...I'll listen and wait, and look. Maybe a Red Bird. Maybe something else altogether. Who knows?

No comments: