Saturday, August 11, 2012

Jesus Sits in the Passenger's Seat of My Car

The grand piano in our living room was set in front of a huge picture window looking out over the woods behind our house. It was always quiet in there and the sun made it so warm in the winter.  The furniture blocked off the piano so that I could hide between the back of our couch and the window. No one knew I was there and I would sit down, lean against the back of the couch, cross my legs under the piano bench and look out the picture window. The truth is, I wasn’t just being introverted. I wasn’t trying to hide. I was meeting Jesus. In my mind’s eye, I had Him sitting on the floor across from me, leaning up against the window, dressed in jeans, a t-shirt and a tattered, red baseball hat. Strange, but true. This was the time Jesus became so real to me. These “visits” taught me how to engage Him, be honest with Him and relate with Him like I did a tangible person.

A friend of mine was recently telling me about how much she is learning concerning Jesus and His divine power. We marvel together at His authority over the entire universe and find it fascinating that angels attend Him and do His bidding. His position is that of King and His glorious presence cannot be contained. So I’m not sure about the reverence of the jeans and t-shirt. Here is what I have realized over these years of learning to relate to an invisible, holy, personal God. In order to be able to approach Him, bear my honest heartache and joy to Him...in order to simply talk to Him, I must know Him as friend. He told the disciples that He no longer called them servants, but rather friends. The King, on the throne, whose robe fills them temple is high and holy. I have found that I must know Him as a friend in order to approach Him with confidence in His position as King. I must be humbled, aware of His might and glory, while also knowing I will not be dismissed, destroyed or condemned.

My imagination has been quite a help to me at times, especially when it comes to relating to Jesus. There are days when I’m driving along, and I glance over, picturing Jesus in the passenger’s seat, strapped in, with me. Out loud, I’ll explain how I feel, what I am stressed about or how grateful I am for such and such. I tell myself, “Either you are certifiably crazy, or someone actually hears you.” That’s how it is when you talk out loud in your car, by yourself. One day last week, I needed to talk to Him. I peered over and jumbled on my passenger’s seat were snacks, a sweater, a purse, a messenger bag and a water bottle.  It was chaos, and I thought to myself, “Whew, that looks a bit like my life right now.” Strange, I know, but for a second I thought Jesus wouldn’t be able to sit there with all my mess of stuff. I smiled, catching myself confused between reality and imagination. But a thought spun through my mind reminding me that Jesus has no problem bringing the two together, “You know I can sit here and hold all this stuff...”

In His supernatural wisdom, this was the ideal response to my odd little situation, and a perfect picture for me. All that mess, confusion and chaos...He can hold it, and gladly He does. Every once in awhile my life collects stacks of burdens and bag-fulls of despair. Strangely these can feel more real than God Himself. If I am not careful, they take over my view and I begin to think they squeeze Him out of range. But He is strong and organized. He not only holds it all for me, He replaces it with Himself, His peace, His truth, His goodness and His hope.

One thing is for sure, I would most certainly rather HIM sit next to me than a pile of tangled worries.

No comments: