Thursday, June 01, 2006

Lovin' Community!

I saw a man who is homeless this morning. He always sits outside the strip where the coffee shop is. So I see him a lot and wonder how it is that someone gets to that point. There is a story behind every face we pass and I want to hear his. But as I drove by this morning and saw him, I said to my roommate, "It is sad to be that alone. If you or I were ever in dire financial ruin, we have so many people who would never allow us to live on the streets." And it's true. I do not have to fear that, and last night proved it again. I was on my way to meet with people from church who hang out on Wednesday nights and my clutch snapped in the middle of a busy road, in the middle of a shift change!! I was so confused to say the least. In a panic, I hit my hazard lights and coasted into Chili's wondering what in the world would I do...My AAA has just expired and my car just got paid off! I knew it was soon! I said it to so many people. Anyway...in comes my community. A group of girls (one with AAA!) and an elderly gentleman...to the rescue! They drove up and as I turned around they bought me dinner, a diet coke and proceeded to make me laugh. I was humbled and amazed once again by the love of people in my circle. It was not a second thought, but it saved me from frustration and despair. My church thrives on community and values it in a way I never knew existed. It is just God really...He just uses all of us to get His work done and to take care of His peeps!

No comments: