Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The stirring works...














"And I didn't understand why as usual God couldn't give me a loud or obvious answer, through a megaphone, or thunder, skywriting or stigmata. Why does God always use dreams, intuition, memory, phone calls, vague stirrings in my heart? I would say that this
really doesn't work for me at all. Except that it does."
----Anne Lamott

God has spoken more to me in the past few weeks than He has in over a decade of my life. I wake up and listen, and still myself at moments throughout the day to listen again. And He speaks. Just like He spoke the entire world into existence, He still speaks. Sometimes I want it loud and obvious. In a way I think it will "work" better on me. But the truth is...when I take a walk and turn off all noise from the day, I hear the still, small voice and it sends me to my knees. In essence, it really works. He won't compete with the noise of life, the flash of culture and the bang of wealth...He simply stirs. And it works.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who in the heck left the gate for this joker (dr. whoami)?

Uhh... anyway ...

How do you usually feel or what are you thoughts after you've gone through the quiet time?

Dawn Elizabeth said...

Good question Omari--I have noticed that I am at peace. I trust Him and feel sought out by Him, I believe I got the special attention from Him I am craving...but the sad part, the discouraging part, is that I still run somewhere else to at least peek to see if I can find more. But the moment after I connect with Him, it seems like I tasted a sip of heaven, and pulled back the curtain to the Holy of Holies for just one tiny second...it is like nothing else.