Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Recalling grace once again.


"So if i stand, let me stand on the promise, the you will pull me through...and if I can't, let me fall on the grace that first brought me to you." --Rich Mullins.

I love this song, "If I Stand" by Rich Mullins, who lived his life by the daily outpouring of God's grace. He knew it could be no other way for him. Here is a musician, well known, who never knew how much money he was making. He would ask his financial manager to get his check, figure out the average income for a man during that time, and give him only that amount. The rest he would give to the poor. He actually at one point made his own vow of poverty and lived on the bare bones of what his needs presented. I want to live like this: desperate for grace and driven to live out of what I know to be true of the promises of God. Every day I live as though I am an orphan with no one looking out for me or caring for the details of my life. But He does. I am not alone, though I feel lonely at times; I am not empty though at times the pit in my stomach leaves a feeling just like that. He is more than enough, and He is faithful to carry me and sustain me. It's like Paul said, in weakness we are strong in the strength of God. And when life throws me for a loop (as it has) and I can't get my barings, I will look beside me and see that I can trust someone greater, who knows better for me than I know for myself.

2 comments:

awb said...

Ric Elias had this to say about Rich:

He had a great appetite for sin, but his appetite for God was greater.

I paraphrase of course

Dawn Elizabeth said...

Wow...that is what I want for myself. Thanks Adrian...it is always good to hear for perspective, to remind me of what I live for...Him alone!